- This event has passed.
Business of Art for Artists with Mary Urbas – Week 2
March 15 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm| Free
NEW for 2017! ART BITES- Nutrition for the Creative Mind. A series of three ongoing programs (Professional Practices, Collecting Art Talks and Artist Studio Tours) that offer information for artists and like-minded individuals.
As part of our new 2017 ART BITES series of Professional Practices for Artists, we are proud to present Business of Art for Artists with Mary Urbas. This 6-week class is designed as a first-step towards helping the developing artist make a successful transition from creating art to presenting and promoting it. Mary Urbas will share her 35+ years of experience in the professional art world as a gallery owner, curator, teacher, and consultant. As an exhibited artist, she is able to bring a real-world perspective to both sides of the business of marketing fine art.
Each week a different aspect of “getting your work out there” will be discussed, followed by a question and answer period so the group can brainstorm and network.
The following syllabus is meant to be a guide-line of proposed topics. Depending on the needs of the class participants, additional topics can be discussed to target specific areas to enhance and improve the individual’s “image” they are projecting.
The series is FREE and open to the public courtesy of a matching grant provided by Cuyahoga Arts and Culture (CAC). YOU MUST REGISTER TO ATTEND. TO REGISTER: Click HERE to follow the Eventbrite link and click “Register” OR call our offices at 216.721.9020.
All classes can be attended individually with the exception of WEEKS 3 & 4, which must be taken together.
There is a limit of 45 per class, with the exception of Weeks 3 & 4, which will be conducted in a “workshop” format. To insure the quality of the experience, registration will be closed after the first 12 students are enrolled for this module only. Students that would like to participate must be able to attend both classes. After enrollment is closed, a waiting list will be kept in the event of student cancellation. If there is sufficient interest, this module will be offered again in the future.
The class schedule will run as follows:
WEEK 1: Intro, establish goals, make a plan: Saturday, February 11th, 1:00-3:00pm.
- Introduction, establish your goals, make a commitment, create a support structure. Are agents, reps and art coaches right for you?
- Prepare and presenting your artwork, how to establish pricing and basic record keeping
WEEK 2: Create a professional image: Wednesday, March 15th, 6:00-8:00pm.
- Create a professional image, assemble the business tools to sell your art: mailing list, business cards, slides/photos.
- Where to show: group, co-op, or juried. What jurors are looking for. Are Art Fairs and Festivals the “right” way to go for you?
- Booth layout and design.
WEEK 3: Write artist statement, exhibition resume and present to class for review: Saturday, April 15th, 1:00-3:00pm. CLASS WILL CONTINUE INTO “WEEK 4” ON SATURDAY, APRIL 29TH, 12:30-3:30PM. Registration Limit of 12 with a waiting list.
- Write an artist statement and an exhibition résumé.
- Create and formulate a brochure or other visuals. Assemble a portfolio.
- Give visual presentation to class: show portfolio of artwork, share artist statement.
WEEK 4: MUST HAVE TAKEN WEEK 3 TO ATTEND: Saturday, April 29th, 12:30-3:30pm.
- Continue with visual presentations.
WEEK 5: Contacting & Approaching Galleries: Wednesday, October 11th, 6:00-8:00pm.
- Contacting and approaching galleries that are appropriate for your artwork.
- Selling your artwork on consignment vs wholesale.
- Delivering and shipping artwork.
WEEK 6: Publicity: Wednesday, November 1st, 6:00-8:00pm.
- Create written and visual publicity: press releases, paid advertisements and direct mail.
- Marketing and social media.
- Finish up any unresolved topics or issues.
Mary Urbas Biography:
Mary Urbas is currently the Gallery Director/Exhibition Curator for The Gallery at Lakeland Community College, (Kirtland), a position she has held for 11 1/2 years.
Mary was the Assistant Director/Gallery Curator at the Valley Art Center in Chagrin Falls, OH from 2001-2005 and also owned and operated The Gallery in Chagrin Falls, a fine art and contemporary crafts gallery, from 1997-2001. From 1979 to 1997, Mary Urbas was the Gallery Manager and head of shipping and receiving at Sylvia Ullman’s American Crafts Gallery.
With a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Cleveland Institute of Art, Urbas’ own work as a textile designer has been exhibited in shows throughout Northeast Ohio and Pennsylvania, receiving many honors including several Best in Crafts awards from juried shows. She is a member of the Surface Design Association of America and the American Crafts Council, as well as a participant in several regional artist guilds and associations.