2021 Annual Members Exhibition
April 8 @ 8:00 am - May 29 @ 4:00 pm
Virtual Opening Reception: Thursday, April 8th 7:00 – 8:00pm on Zoom
*Please note* If the opening reception hits it’s 100 person capacity, Zoom will give you the option to join via Facebook Live. Simply follow the prompts to view the presentation.
If you would like to participate in the webinar directly on Zoom, we recommend logging on as close to 7pm as possible. The event will also be recorded and available on artistsarchives.org within the week. Thank you for your support of the Artists Archives!
Virtual Annual Members Meeting & Digital Collection Launch: Friday, May 7, 7:00-8:30pm on Zoom. All current members are welcome to attend!
Virtual Panel Discussion: The May Show: The Museum, The Community, & The Story of Art in Cleveland: Wednesday, May 12th 7:00 – 8:00pm on Zoom. Moderated by Michael Gill (CAN Journal), featuring Henry Adams (Case Western Reserve University), Key Jo Lee (Cleveland Museum of Art), and Steven Litt (Cleveland Plain Dealer). CLICK HERE TO REGISTER ON ZOOM
Supporting local art starts with supporting local artists – all of them. Regardless of the level of critical acclaim or time spent in the professional art world, for artists to flourish they need spaces and exhibitions which allow them to experiment, cultivate a sense of community, and yes – have their work actually seen. The Artists Archives of the Western Reserve’s (AAWR) Annual Members Exhibition was created to do just that.
In addition to the 89 artists archived in the museum’s permanent collection, the AAWR is comprised of hundreds of regional member artists who form the backbone of the organization. The exhibition, a perennial favorite, accepts 1 piece from each active member and proudly displays them in an energetic salon-style. Now in its 7th year, the show has become so popular that entries are limited to 24 inches to conserve gallery space. Ranging from painting to photography, ceramics to textiles, and mixed media installations, each piece served as a unique snapshot of life in Northeast Ohio. Exhibition attendees may vote for their favorite piece in person until the end of the exhibition, when the four artists with the most votes will receive awards and cash prizes.
The 2021 Annual Members Exhibition is exclusively open to artists with active memberships. To become a member and to take advantage of this unique exhibition opportunity, please call our offices at 216-721-9020 or visit artistsarchives.org for more details.
The show will be celebrated with a virtual reception on Thursday, April 8th 7:00 – 8:00pm featuring a joyous gathering of AAWR staff, Board, and member artists, as well as a preview of the show.
On Wednesday, May 12th 7:00 – 8:00pm, the Archives will host a virtual panel discussion on the history & cultural impact of the Cleveland Museum of Art’s May Show. Miss it, love it, or hate it, the May Show played a huge part in the development of the Cleveland arts community – so much in fact, that its 1996 removal generated numerous spin-offs that persist today. Join the Artists Archives for a fascinating look at the history of art in Cleveland which asks, “just what is the role of major museums in relation to the communities which surround them?” Moderated by Michael Gill (CAN Journal), panelists include Henry Adams (Professor of Art History, Case Western Reserve University), Key Jo Lee (Director of Academic Affairs and Associate Curator of Special Projects- Cleveland Museum of Art), and Steven Litt (Author, Art and Architecture Critic, Cleveland Plain Dealer). This lively discussion will be followed by an audience Q & A. Registration links coming soon to artistsarchives.org!
CALL FOR ENTRY DETAILS:
This April, the Artists Archives of the Western Reserve welcomes the return of its Annual Members Exhibition, featuring work by its member artists, hung salon-style in the main & office galleries.
To display your work, your AAWR membership must be current through June 1st, 2021! To check your membership status or to renew, call our office 216.721.9020. You can also renew your membership online
Not a member yet? Become a member online or call 216.721.9020 to speak to our staff!
- Drop-Off Dates: March 30 – April 3 during office hours (T-F: 10:00am-4:00pm, Sat: 12:00-4:00pm) or by appointment with Mindy Tousley, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show Dates: April 8 – May 29, 2020
- Virtual Opening Reception: Thursday, April 8, 7:00-8:00pm on Zoom
- Virtual Annual Members Meeting & Digital Collection Launch: Friday, May 7, 7:00-8:30pm on Zoom. All current members are welcome to attend!
- Pick–Up Dates: June 1 – June 12 during regular office hours (T-F: 10:00am-4:00pm, Sat: 12:00-4:00pm)
- There is no entry fee.
- One piece will be accepted from each AAWR member in good standing.
- All work will be hung salon-style in the main & office galleries.
- Size will be restricted to 24” maximum in any direction (including frame). All media accepted. 3-D work welcome. 2-D work must be delivered ready to hang. All work must be original & previously unshown at the AAWR. No Giclée or other reproductions of works made originally in other mediums!
- Popular Choice Awards: Exhibition attendees may vote for their favorite piece in person until the end of the exhibition, Saturday, May 29 at 4:00pm. The four artists with the most votes will receive awards and cash prizes. Winners will be announced virtually.
- Loan Agreement: Each artist is required to fill out a loan agreement upon drop-off of work. Artists may fill out the paperwork ahead of time (link below) and bring it with their piece or fill the form out upon arrival. We will have copies on hand.
- Works will be insured while part of the exhibition, and AAWR has the right to use images of the work for any and all promotional purposes during the exhibition and in the future.
Questions? Contact Megan Alves, Marketing & Programing Manager, at 216.721.9020 or email@example.com, or Mindy Tousley, firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to having your work in this year’s exhibition!